I am Jay Poojara, mobile and web application developer. Having worked with various technologies ranging from JAVA to PHP and Android of course (My Expertise), during my learning phase I found many good blogs for beginners and intermediate, hence I decided to start this blog where I can share my experience with Android development.
My first post is about how to start android development and the tools you will need to get started. So let’s get started with your first basic setup for Android development.
1. Download & Install Android SDK
- Download the Android SDK .
- Install/Extract the downloaded SDK.
- Go to the directory where you installed the SDK and open SDK Manager to open Android SDK and AVD Manager.
In AVD manager under Available Packages you can see different versions of SDK’s.
- Select SDK Platform tools and one of the version of SDK and click on install
2. Download and install IDE
Although there are many IDEs are available like Android Studio, Eclipse etc.
But I would recommend Eclipse.
You can download Eclipse from here.
3. Installing Android Development Toolkit Plugin(ADT)
Now to start development of android with Eclipse you will need ADT plugin.
To download and install it, Follow this steps.
- Open eclipse and go to Help à Install New Software.
- Now press add button.
- Now give name and in link paste this link https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ and proceed with further step.
Now you can start development of android application after downloading and installing it.
4. Create new Android Application Project in Eclipse
- In your Eclipse IDE go to File -> Android Project
- Give Project Name, Select Build Target, Application Name, Package Name, Activity Name, Min SDK version and click Finish.
Now you can see bunch of files created in the project explorer.
Now to test this application you will need either an android phone or AVD(Android Virtual Device).
5. Creating New Android Virtual Device (AVD)
- In Eclipse: select Window > Android Virtual Device Manager, or click the AVD Manager icon in the toolbar.
- Click on new on the right side.
- Give Name, Select Target give SD Card size and click on Create AVD.
Now a new AVD is created with the specification you provided and Close the Android SDK and AVD Manager